Thursday, January 21, 2010

I don't have a clever title for this one.

Well, I always knew that I was an old soul, but now it is official. I am an old lady. I know this because my hair is falling out. I can't tell you exactly if it is stress, Pyeongtaek water, or advancing age, but holy moly...I have to clean out dead rats from my drain after each shower. Graphic enough for you? I find it pretty gross too. With long hair, strays are unavoidable, (my students are always finding hairs on my shoulder....they seem to enjoy it - I think they just want a closer look at what they call "yellow" hair) but things have really gotten out of control. I am trying my darnedest to stem the flow by deep conditioning every three days. I'll keep you updated - but don't be surprised if I come home bald.

Kiana quit. My director? She quit. This is the second time in two months, only this time we are all pretty sure that she won't be coming back. She was displeased with the owner of the school for a while, and vice versa, so...I think she is done here. She left three days ago for the States. To add insult to injury, she's going to be in Overland Park visiting a friend. Jealoussssssssssssss.... This throws a lot of things into question - Who will be our new director? Will he/she change everything right when we have just gotten used to things? Will he/she stick up for us to the somewhat obsessive Korean mothers? What is the next semester's schedule going to be like?
Needless to say, I have been having a lot of stress headaches. I have been running to deal.

So the Seoul Marathon is 8 weeks, and while I am sorry that I have been talking about it non-stop and that it has been dominating all of my status updates, I am probably not going to be able to stop. Training keeps my mind busy and gives me a goal to keep me here. I get to eat as much food as I want, I have rock hard thighs, and did I mention that I get to eat as much as food as I want?
I am SO over the cold weather though. For two days last week I was fortunate to run in 40 degree weather. I was actually able to run without my face mask, two pairs of tights, or five shirts. It was pretty amazing, but now the temp is back down and I have to drag my butt back into below freezing weather. Yuck.

I have a ton of new pictures to post. I haven't done it yet because really, it takes for.ev.er. to upload and caption them all. I intend upon putting them up tonight, but we shall see. Mainly, the pictures are of the kids - I have to tell you guys, these kids are one of the best things about being here. They are positive, energetic, and man do they love American candy. They can get me to share any day. I have a pretty brilliant idea for my kids too! My kids are 7 and 8 ( think 6 and 7 by American count). I talked with my best friend Kristen who is a Kindergarten teacher in Lawrence. We are going to have our kids become Pen Pals! Those letters are freaking adorable. I will have to post some of them soon.

Alright, I had better go. I want to go to Seoul tomorrow to buy some more cheese. Isn't that a little sad? I am willing to travel over an hour for some real dairy.

I love you all. I miss you all.



4 comments:

  1. Yay! Pen Pals!!! It's going to be fabulous. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Read it. I remember my pen pal from elementary school. Except we did ours with kids from like Briarwood or some other elementary school in the district. So we actually arranged a visit after a couple of letter swaps. And of course, I got some kid who was not quite all there in the noggin and the whole time I was like, "Why is this guy so enthusiastic about EVERYTHING!" it was weird.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Krissy told me about the plan to be pen pals. Great idea! I had a pen pal from Chile when I was in school. We kept in touch for many, many years. So sorry about your hair. I know stress can do that---it happened to my sister. Would love to see some more pictures of your kids. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pen Pals will be fun! That is the same age as my 1st graders, if it excites them so much that they have to have 2 then let me know! :)

    ReplyDelete