Monday, February 15, 2010

This post is dedicated to my mother. and aunts. and anyone else who has been after me to update.

Alright friends,

So I have been meaning to update this for a very long time, but I think the problem is that there is just too much that I want to talk about. I never want to sit down for a few hours to pound it all out.

This is going to be a conglomeration post.


I haven't been in the best place emotionally for the past few weeks. I have been feeling stuck. I can't come home yet, but I want to. I haven't been crying about it; its not an urgent "get the hell out of here" feeling, but its an ache. I can admit something to myself now. I am not the jet-setting citizen of the world that I always thought that I was, or at least, could be. I am a homebody. I am disgustingly connected with my family and while I still want to travel the world and live in other places. I think I will keep the travel under a few months and the living in the United States. This way, I can at least fly to see my family for under a thousand dollars and 20 hours of travel time. This realization was a hard pill to swallow, but I think I am better for it.

Lets talk about the Korean people for a few.

Based on Confucian ideals, the family unit is tight. Super tight. Most couples only have two children and the oldest male is expected to care for the the parents when they get older. I have heard from Sarah that Korean women try to shy away from oldest boys because the women know that if they marry them, they will have a lot of responsibility when they get older, but it all ends up being a really good deal for everyone. The grandparents end up taking care of the children a lot. Most of my students have told me that their grandparents watch them after school or walk them to and from school every morning - which, I know that I would have loved.

It is just such an interesting culture. The country was essentially third world until the late 1960's early 1970's - meaning that people over the age of 45 have to remember a time when they they or someone that they knew didn't have running water. Can you even imagine? So now, at least in the city or in the suburbs of Seoul where I live, its almost like the people are playing a giant game of "catch-up." Image and money are super important here. Obviously, this is a generalization - but there is a very good reason for it. You will never see a Korean woman walk out in public in pajama pants - the equivalent of slumming it in Korea is to wear a work-out outfit and a ballcap. But you better believe that those ballcaps and yoga pants are name brand; usually the logo is nice and prominent. Its a little tough to keep up with them! I feel pretty self conscious when a willowy, heeled, and impeccably dressed young woman is standing next to me on the bus.

The children. are. adorable. I mean, all children are cute, but these kids take the cake, and their parents have a LOT to do with it. As I said, appearances are very important, so many of the moms make sure that their kids are impeccably dressed. My students show up to class wearing Burberry. There is no such thing as holes in socks or patched knees. Their pea coats probably cost more than all the clothes I brought here put together. They wear cute little fur vests, jeweled headbands, the boys wear sweaters over turtlenecks. Sometimes I squeal when I get to work - I feel like a grandmother who just wants to squeeze their round little cheeks. The other day, one of the Korean teachers at school was playing with Dorothy's curls. Dorothy is an adorable little six year old with a very soft little curl in her hair. The teacher looked at me and proudly said that Dorothy was the only Korean girl that she had met with curly hair. I looked at her like she was crazy - 3 of my kids had curly hair, what was she talking about? 'Oh,' she qualified, ' I mean naturally curly hair.' I did one of those cartoon double takes. Almost any Korean child that you see with curly hair has gotten a perm. They are babies...not to mention the fact that they are adorable enough without the curls.

The middle school girls all look the same. This is not me being caucasion in asia, this is sheer honest to goodness shock. They have frighteningly similar school uniforms (plaid skirts, dark blazer, black tights) and they ALL have the EXACT same haircut: A Shoulder length bob that is curled under and a tightly curled set of blunt cut bangs. Its kind of cute - the girls will wear their bangs in little rollers outside to keep them perfect.

I was in Seoul this weekend buying books. . . . I have missed reading so bad! I don't know why I didn't bring a freaking book with me. So anywho, I went to one of the few bookstores with an actual English section and spent a fortune on books. Totally worth it. It was also really great because while I was in the train station they had the Olympics on. I haven't been able to watch ONE minute of the Olympics here in Korea. I tried to stream it online, but all of the English websites blocked me due to my IP address being from Korea and their distribution rights being limited to their respective countries. I am not computer literate and could not figure out how to hide my IP address like some of my friends suggested, so I was living vicariously through all of my friend's facebook updates and such. While in the station I got to watch the Korean's win the Gold and Silver in speed skating....I was halfway rooting for Apollo Whats-his-name, but I couldn't deny that the Korean's enthusiasm was infectious. HUGE crowds around the TV and in-sync gasps? Awesome. Keep your ears and eyes peeled for Kim Yu Na. She is Korea's hope for the Gold in figure skating. It's impossible to not know who she is here. She was Korea's Forbes Magazine and Times Magazine's person of the year several times running and is spokesperson for like every cosmetic known. I wish I could watch it.

I have more to say, but I think I will take a shower and go to bed instead. Night!

1 comment:

  1. read it. I unfortunately would have no idea how to "hide" your IP address . . . or for that matter what an IP address is, so I can't help you there. Speaking of World traveler and such, I just got back from a Grad School trip where I auditioned at two schools and such and it was the first time EVER that I traveled alone. It was definitely interesting and a little lonely for a socialite such as myself. Like you, I currently see myself as a world traveler type and got a little (itty-bitty) taste of the travel life.

    ReplyDelete