Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Inconceivable!

I have to say - for missing Kansas so much, and wishing that I could be there for all the blizzards, I am sort of thrilled about Korea's weather recently.

Today's high was 57 degrees. Fifty-Seven. Five-Seven. I was able to walk to my bus stop with no coat or hat. This made me feel a little self conscience because my hair was down and the color stands out a bit more with no covering. Guuurl, heads were a-turnin.

Normally when I get home from work, I take a short nap before I go out for my run. It has become such a big part of my routine that the thought of skipping it to get done with my run earlier makes me cringe. I NEED my nap. Not today. I couldn't wait to get out the door. I knew that if I napped, the temp would drop and I wanted it as warm as possible. Guess who ran in her 3/4 length tights? And only two shirts? It was disgustingly refreshing. On the trail I ran into my roommate's best friend, an American named Chase. Two non-asians on the trail at once? We did a run-by high five. I know that I have S.A.D. but I couldn't tell how much it was affecting me until I got a day like this.

This week is my last week of intensive training. No Joke. I ran five miles today, eight tomorrow, five on Thursday, rest day on Friday, Eight at race pace on Saturday, and my final long run is 20 miles on Sunday. After Sunday, it is all downhill; I start to taper off until my race. March 21st, here I come.


Tomorrow the high is supposed to be 61. Jealoussssss?

4 comments:

  1. read it. Had no idea you were in the tropics! It is still frigid here and will be for a while. Interestingly enough, March 21st is Beth's bday (side note for myself). Question: what does "S.A.D." mean? I'm totally unhip

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Anne! This is Wes' girlfriend, Ali. He told me about your voyage to Korea. I was born in Seoul, but left as a baby. As a sort of replacement, I try to keep up with their pop culture (I'd kill to be there just for the ridiculous music, dramas, and game shows).
    I've got a few questions and the first is, have you tried BB Cream yet? It's supposedly all the rage right now in cosmetics. It's a foundation that also has skin healing properties, so it helps with break outs and skin tone. I REALLY wish it was more widely available in the US. But anyway, I hear nothing but its praises and wondered if you'd tried it out.
    And I don't know if Wes told you about this show. It's a weekly program with foreign students/professionals in Korea and their experiences with the culture.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_zYTastDBc (Don't worry, it's subtitled!)
    Usually it's a panel of women (hence the title, Chitchat with Beautiful Ladies) and Korean celebrities, but in this episode it's foreign women and men. They generalize a lot, but it's still fun. There are a ton more episodes on the user's channel.
    Gah, this is getting long. Sorry!
    Are there a lot of plastic surgery ads everywhere? I know that Korea and east Asia are pretty high on the scale when it comes to cosmetic surgery, but I always wondered how inflated some of the stats were.
    Anyway, I've been reading through your posts and enjoying them. I'd like to return one day.
    By the way, I agree about Korean kids being the cutest. We just can't help it ;)
    Ooo! One more thing: If you see or hear about a man named Daniel Henney being in the surrounding area, get yourself there as quick as possible. You won't be sorry.

    Good luck with the marathon!

    Ali

    ReplyDelete
  3. So jealous, Cant you please send some of that warmth our way - You know born in the USA and all that is the least you could do for us. Glad your doing fine and keep up the good race. Very proud of you Anne. Also congrats to the South Koreans for their Gold Medal Olympian skater. She was gorgeous and very good on the ice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is not a guilt trip, but it's been so long since you wrote a new blog that we've now had over 57 degree weather. I think yesterday's high was 68 degrees, so HA!

    ReplyDelete