Wednesday, March 17, 2010

You think that _*insert problem here*_ can stop me?

Listen,

I went to the doctor yesterday for another massage and I told him that although the lumbar corset feels better than standing on my own, I was walking all funny and the right hip and back was really really painful. He watched me walk for three paces and said "ah yes, I think, that these muscle spasms have...made you...how should I say...un-parallel. Great. Add Insult to injury. My hips were un-aligned due to the way my muscles were trying to heal. The doctor then told me that he was going to give me a shot in my back. *comedic double take* Buh-where? He turned to Sarah and explained the medical jargon and technicalities of the shot in Korean. Then I turned to Sarah for the translation. She looked at me seriously and said "No." *Second comedic double-take* Buh-whaaa? "I do not think that you should hear this." She told me. "I know that you do not like shots"

Its a good GD thing that she did not tell me what was about to happen. I had to lay face-down on a table with my pants pushed down while the doctor manipulated my back, asking which manipulation hurt most. Once he found the most excruciating place, he stuck a needle into my back. And. Kept. It. There. I could feel it going up and down. The whole time I was freaking out in my head I kept wondering what in the world he was doing - Sarah told me later that he was making sure to move around to all areas of the muscle - even she had to look away. Once he finished, I whimpered in relief which soon became a whimper of pain as he did it again!

The cool thing? TOTALLY WORTH IT. I don't know what was in it - I think he mentioned steroids when my brain was half freaking out, but it was amazing. It was like my muscles let out a collective sigh and re-aligned. Suddenly, I could walk without pain. I could sit up without supporting my back. I could bend forward. Its not perfect. I think my hip will be a little sore, but I am incredibly happy. At school, my students were relieved to see a pain free (and thus a little less bitchy) teacher. They all gave me a group hug when I told them that my back was not "ouchie" any more. After my day of almost no pain, I decided to get out there and run tonight after work. Come hell or high water.

Of course it started to snow.

Oh, but it was one of those really gorgeous early spring snows. You know, the really heavy, wet, on the verge of melting snows that just weighs down all the trees and seems to dampen all the noise of the city? By the time I walked out of the stairwell, a thick layer was covering everything. I started out cautiously, monitoring every twinge. For the first two miles you couldn't wipe the idiotic grin off my face. No one else was on the trail. The lyrics "I will be stronger" from my ipod gave me shivers and I actually closed my eyes and willed my body to remember this run forever. The sound of my breath in my ears. The snow already covering my shoulders. The dulled sound of my steps in the snow. Perfect. I have to admit that I felt a little sluggish. I thought I was going slower than normal and I felt a little worn for the 4 miles I put in. My time ended up surprising me. 8:20-8:30 at each mile. I guess my body didn't forget what to do.

But one of the best parts of my run happened on my way back in. I had just finished up the 4th mile and had climbed up the stairs from the trail to the street. It was still snowing and I waited in a large group of people for the light to change so that we could cross the street to the apartment complexes. There was this halmonnee (pronounced Harmony - Grandmother) waiting patiently with her little black grocery sack and her umbrella. She saw me and walked in that slow grandmother-way over to me with a smile. She asked me, in Korean, if I spoke "hangul?"
"Hangul-mal, chogum" I said, apologetically. If my admitting that I only spoke a little Korean bothered her, I didn't see it. She began to cluck softly over me. She continued to speak to me in Korean, her words flowing smoothly as she whipped out her little flowered handkerchief and wiped all of the snow off of my face and shook it out of my braids. She insisted that I walk with her across the street under her umbrella and when we parted - I felt like this had been one of the greatest encounters I have ever had. Not just in Korea. This "Harmony" will be with me forever.

3 comments:

  1. You realize this is a prose, right? ;)

    Great to hear you're doing better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anne... Something you might be interested in knowing... When I sit back and read your posts (yes.. sit back.. they are relaxing to read)... I always stop and say, "Dave! You have to hear this... Anne is such an amazing writer. I want to read how she said these things." Then I read him like ohh... the whole post. Whether he is interested or not. It is just the way you say things... So descriptive... So... Beautiful... it seems. You need to put this together in a book. Or at least print them all off and put them in a notebook. Not one... but two! Just in case one gets ruined some how! This will be amazing for your future family to see and read!

    --Melissa Anderson

    ReplyDelete
  3. read it. wow I'm behind. I'll try to catch up today. P.S. - I'm not a Spring snow kind of person. We had a bit of that in March and there was nothing charming about it. After our harsh winter this past year, so ready for some warm weather. I plan to get all the cold weather I want from Baltimore.

    ReplyDelete